Thursday, April 10, 2008

McCain Sees No Reason To Resign Senate

Senator McCain, campaigning in Connecticut yesterday, said he will not resign from the Senate while running for president:

McCain was asked whether he would resign this summer, and give his replacement the opportunity to run with McCain at the top of the ticket, rather than wait and resign only if he wins.

"No, I will not," McCain told the crowd at a town hall style meeting in Westport, Connecticut. "I have every confidence that there are a number of Republicans who would be elected in my place. So I do not envision a scenario of resigning my seat."
McCain also said he will think about whether or not it makes more sense to resign:
"I will go back and think about it, and think about the scenario that you just described," he continued. "But right now my intentions are to remain in the United States Senate."
Should McCain decide to resign, Arizona law requires that the governor appoint someone from the same party as the departing Senator. That person would serve until the next election in 2010.

McCain should consider posing a challenge to his Democrat opponents -- he will resign if they will. What do you think?

No comments: